Metal roofing is becoming increasingly popular among homeowners in the United States. Today, metal is the second-most sought-after material for repairing and remodeling residential roofs. Many new houses also feature metal roofs as they deliver long-lasting performance in harsh weather conditions. If you want a resilient roofing solution to protect your home during tough climates, metal roofing can be your go-to option. Let’s decode everything you need to know about metal roofs for residential use.
Metal Roofing: What Does it Mean?
Metal roofing consists of coated metal sheets. These sheets are thin, durable, and large enough to cover the surface area of roofs. Metal roofing can replace traditional roof options like asphalt shingles. They are strong and resilient, offering remarkable protection from environmental hazards. Common materials for metal roofing include steel, aluminum, copper, and zinc. There are two broad categories of metal roofing:
- Exposed Fastener Panels: In this case, the roofing professionals fasten the metal sheet atop your roof without concealing the screw heads. These screw heads typically match the metal color but remain visible from the outside. Exposed fastener panels are cost-effective metal roofing solutions for homeowners looking for cheaper options.
- Standing Seam Panels: A standing seam panel is attached to the substrate with concealed fasteners. These panels look sleek and elegant, helping you improve the aesthetic appeal of your home. However, these panels cost a little more than exposed fastener roofing.
Benefits of Residential Metal Roofing
Metal roofing solutions do more than make your home look good. They have remarkable functional benefits that can help you save costs and drive value in the long run. Here are the top benefits you can leverage by opting for metal roofing:
- Weather-resistant: Metal is strong enough to resist substances like hail. It is capable of shedding snow during the winter season. During monsoons, it prevents water from penetrating the roof, and in summer, it reflects UV rays to keep your home cool.
- Low maintenance: A metal roof rarely requires upkeep or repairs. The coating on these metal sheets makes them resistant to scratches and chipping. Roofing contractors also apply rust-proof coating to ensure the longevity of metal roofing with minimal maintenance.
- Energy-efficient: Metal roofs reflect UV radiation away from your home. As a result, it can help you maintain cooler temperatures during the summer months. Homeowners with metal roofing may save up to 40% in utility costs as they help people reduce air-conditioner use. This aspect makes the home more energy-efficient and contributes to environmentally sustainable outcomes.
- Long life: Metal roofing can be incredibly long-lasting. Compared to traditional asphalt roofs, metal roofs may last four to five times longer. Their longevity makes them remarkably cost-effective for homeowners.
- Fire-resistant: Some traditional roofing materials can catch sparks from wildfires and fuel devastating fires in residential areas. Metal roofing is fire-resistant and safe, capable of protecting your home from stray sparks nearby.
Metal roofing is a modern solution with incredible benefits. Contact the ASAP Roofing & Exteriors team today to learn more about adding a metal roof to your residential property!