When is the right time to get a new roof and replace the old one? Among the many roofing companies in Washington DC, we at ASAP Roofing & Exteriors have worked for several clients over the years. In our years of experience, we’ve come across pertinent signs that signify the right time to get your roofing done.
Neglecting roof repairs can save you money today but it can take away a lot tomorrow. Let’s explore the cost of neglecting roof repair and identifying the right time to get a new roof.
The perils of not roofing on time
You’ve been noticing that everyone at home, including you, is complaining about feeling cold during the winter and hot during the summer. These complaints arise especially after you’ve reinstalled a functional HVAC system at home. Ever wonder whether your roof might be the cause of all of this? Read further to explore the reasons for it.
If it’s been 15 years or more and the roofing system hasn’t been checked or reviewed, it’s time to take notice. While some roofs have a lifespan of 20 to 25 years, it’s still good practice to get your roof checked periodically. Here’s what can happen if you fail to get them checked from time to time:
- Any holes formed may go unnoticed. They typically occur due to hail, storms, pests, age of the roof, and fallen branches. As a result, you might find, as we mentioned before, a difference in indoor temperatures. You’re feeling hot during the summer and cold during the winter despite all measures taken to keep the house cool in the summer and warm during the winter season. So, what you’re doing is
- Any leaks formed during harsh weather can go unnoticed. This can lead to water leaking through the roof and it can result in rotting. The moisture in the roof can lead to the formation of mold that results in lowering the air quality and leads to medical complications for the people living in that house.
Failing to notice any damages in your roofing system over the years can cost you highly for major damages. Furthermore, it can also decrease the value of your property, which is why it is best to also identify the best time to do roofing.
Signs that tell you to change your roof
- The age of your roof – Different types of roofs have different lifespans. For instance, a shingles roof can go on for 20 to 25 years. If you’ve passed this period, it’s time to install a new roofing system.
- Weak shingles – This can happen in more than one way. The causes could be improper installation, end of lifespan is reached, starts to peel away, or grit in the surface.
- Tears in the shingles – Shingles can tear due to contraction cycles and prolonged thermal expansion.
- Structural issues – The shingles installed may start sagging due to structural issues like a broken rafter or severe water damage.
Your roofing system deserves all the attention it can get, be it for minor or major repairs. You can contact our roofing experts at ASAP to know more.